For episode 25, I chatted to Sinéad Renu Sheehan from Extinction Rebellion about a new campaign called BiaHero. This community led campaign encourages people to start growing their own food at home and provides a support network for all your questions via a group on Facebook.
In this episode, we cover:
- [02:20] The definition of food security.
- [06:00] Why BiaHero started and the importance of it in regards to food security.
- [11:10] Where to start when it comes to growing your own food: the seeds.
- [15:24] Getting the right soil.
- [17:15] Why you usually. start sowing inside first.
- [20:41] How to choose what to start planting.
- [23:50] What you can grow all year round.
- [25:00] How to manage surplus products.
- [29:05] How to be creative if you don't have any land.
- [33:09] Guerilla Gardening.
- [34:25] Composting & feeding your plants.
- [40:00] How to care for your food during a dry spell.
- [43:30] Knowing what food needs vertical support.
- [45:10] Planning for next year.